What a God we have! And how fortunate we are to have him, this Father of our Master Jesus! Because Jesus was raised from the dead, we've been given a brand-new life and have everything to live for, including a future in heaven—and the future starts now! God is keeping careful watch over us and the future. The Day is coming when you'll have it all—life healed and whole. (I Peter 1:3-5 The Message)

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Let Us Adventure Together

We just watched the “Julie and Julia” movie last night.  It was all about Julie making a recipe a day from Julia Child’s cookbook and then blogging about how it turned out (and other extraneous thoughts).  Sharing, I guess, is the real reason for having a blog.  Maybe I’ll get the hang of it.  However, I don’t have a theme yet to hang my thoughts on.  (Never end a sentence a preposition with.)
I’ve been reading a wonderful book, “A Larger Hope: Opening the Heart to God” by R. Scott Colglazier.  It is provoking new thought patterns regarding the meaning of being a Christian, and what kind of a Christian I am.  He says, “My personal search is for a faith that is intellectually coherent and spiritually passionate, a faith that rings true within my everyday experience.”  It is inspiring me to search my heart more deeply, stretch my spiritual nerves, explore my faith, and open my heart to a larger hope.  I will also be journaling some of my adventure here.  Please feel free to comment.
We celebrated World Communion Sunday this morning with emphasis on the ecumenical nature of the day.  It is good to remember and consider other expressions of our faith in God, even to include them in our worship.  The choir sang an offertory anthem, “He Is Mine (Ni Wangu)” by Hal Hopson.  The words are in Swahili.  He is mine, forever and ever, Jesus is mine.  The hymns were also about the community of Christ, which is the church.  
I don’t know how anyone survives who does not gather with other believers on a regular basis.  It is such an exhilarating, informative hour in a busy, sometimes hectic week.  Drawing close with people, praising our awesome God, sharing our triumphs and sorrows, rejoicing or empathizing in our circumstances, lifting each other up or calming us down, singing or crying – in other words, bringing the essence of Christ into the everyday-ness of living.
Come, let us adventure together!
Pat

1 comment:

  1. "I don’t know how anyone survives who does not gather with other believers on a regular basis. It is such an exhilarating, informative hour in a busy, sometimes hectic week. Drawing close with people, praising our awesome God, sharing our triumphs and sorrows, rejoicing or empathizing in our circumstances, lifting each other up or calming us down, singing or crying – in other words, bringing the essence of Christ into the everyday-ness of living."

    AMEN! AMEN!

    ReplyDelete